Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Week 4, Day 2

Week 4, Day 2
Wednesday, March 11


ON HOLD

I have a cold, and a cough. And from my experience with my asthma, I can tell by the way the cough feels there's a bit of upper respiratory infection going on. I am also pretty certain I'm running a fever, so another sign of infection.

Hard headed as I am, I would normally run anyway, but I found this info on coolrunning.com:

"Exercise definitely affects the immune system which is fighting whatever viral infection you have. High intensity exercise has been linked with suppressing the immune system1. Which means that if you workout at a high intensity you may actually be making things worse!

If the symptoms you have are 'below the neck' such as aching muscles and a hacking cough, or chest congestion DO NOT workout that day and rest up. Working out places stress on the lungs and heart. If the heart and lungs are already under stress through an infection then exercise will just stress the body more and may actually lengthen the time it takes to recover from that cold."

So, I will sit out my running for today. If my chest congestion is gone tomorrow I will run then.

I'm distressed about missing a day, but I don't want to make myself sicker.

Pray for me to get well soon, so I don't lose my 4 weeks of training so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment